In 1844, Willis Bridges built the first house in what was to become Eagleville. This house was located in the northeast part of town. Around 1850, the number of settlers increased to such an extent that there was talk of establishing a trading point. John P. King platted and surveyed the original town on August 28th 1851. Lots were offered for sale in 1851 but no improvements appear to have been made that year. In 1852, Thomas Shain erected a small log frame building in town that became a mercantile business. The first post office was established in July 1853 with John Haynes as the postmaster. The name of the post office was Eagle. Postal records show the name was changed to Eagleville in April 1881. Old tales indicate that Eagleville got its name from settlers who saw eagles nesting near town.